Thursday, November 12, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP -BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY


All the blues necklace
by Alison of BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY


A lot of blue semi precious stones – howlite, lapis malachite, amazonite and turquoise make up this statement necklace. The howlite irregular chunks are the best shade of turquoise blue, sitting alongside true turquoise beads with their lovely matrix. The amazonite beads reflect sea greens and blues, and the lapis malachite beads are the deepest cobalt blue with flecks of bottle green. All are strung on a sky blue beading cord which is knotted between each bead for a classic spaced out look.


WELCOME, Alison and her Etsy shop, BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY.  Pay a visit to BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY and you will find a wonderful selection of Alison's designs of necklaces, earrings and bracelets.  Alison uses semi-pecious stones, silver and silver tones in her designs.

First, take a moment to learn a bit more about Alison by reading her delightful interview below. It always makes it a little more interesting when you know something about the artist.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?


My grandmother must be where my love of making things comes from. She created most of her own clothes and knitted and crocheted in every spare minute. She liked to use beads and sequins, and on Christmas Day she would always appear in a new creation heavily embellished and looking like a queen. I can’t remember much distinctive jewellery, but times were different then and the selection was mostly diamonds and gold gate bracelets. She would have loved today’s choice of modern and eclectic designs. She could shop all day, so the Internet and Etsy would have been heaven for her.


My paternal grandmother was a real stylish lady by all accounts. I never met her, but pictures of her show how fashion conscious she was. As a child, I spent many a happy hour dressing up in her beautiful 1920s flapper-style wedding dress. It was heavy with beads and seed pearls, and short enough for a little girl to model without tripping over it! She was a bit of a freethinker too, causing a scandal by marrying the gardener when her husband died at an early age, and hosting garden parties to show him off! Their delightfully planned garden survives to this day – a haven of ferns, roses and fuchsias.



Cleopatra earrings

Imperial turquoise” (or dyed chocolate jasper) combined with turquoise beads, deep orange-red carnelian beads and sterling silver. A beautiful mixture of blues, browns and reds, these beads each have character and the signature of nature upon them. This is a combination truly fit for an empress, and reminds me of ancient Egyptian jewellery in the British Museum. Tiny floral sterling silver spacers add to the tailored look of these graduated earrings.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I’d always made my own clothes, but never really thought it was possible to make your own jewellery without doing real silversmithing. So I just used to tinker with things I’d bought from shops and always be saying ‘One day I’ll go on a course and learn how to make my own.’ Then online shopping takes off, and I suddenly realize you can buy your own tools and supplies, and since then, well, there’s been no stopping me!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

A while ago I would have said just the whole process of making, but since I’ve been selling, it’s now the feedback from customers and, for custom orders I’ve had, seeing people wearing and enjoying the jewellery. In terms of techniques, at the moment I’m really enjoying stringing and knotting and using semi-precious stones to make statement necklaces and bracelets to fit in with the current trend for all things big, colourful and bold.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Had to think hard about this one, but I think I like the idea of my jewellery being like grapes – sweet, colourful and beautiful to eat as they are, with the potential to be converted into something exciting and intoxicating!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I love travel and photographing places, so that would have to be my alternative.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That women can use jewellery to boost their confidence, to help them achieve what they want, to be individual, and for the sheer pleasure of wearing something beautiful.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

"Keep smiling and don’t worry" – that was the sampler my grandma had up in her house. It’s the best advice I’ve ever had and it applies to all situations!

Alison, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful designs and for giving all of us a little "peek" into your thoughts and ideas.

To learn more about Alison and BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY, be sure to visit her links below.
< p align="center">

BLOG

FLICKR

BLUE FOREST JEWELLERY ON FOLKSY

No comments: