Monday, November 10, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SCHMUCKLUST - the delight to adorn - artisan jewellery


Let's welcome Britta and her Etsy shop SCHMUCKLUST !! Britta is very new to Etsy, having just opened her shop on September, 2008, so be sure to stop by for a visit! Shown above is one of her charming, romantic necklaces, and I'm sure you will find more delightful jewelry when visitng her shop. Here in Britta's own words, you can find out a bit more about this delightful artist.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Aren’t you fascinated how people around the world, across all cultures spend a significant time and effort on their own decorations? So, I have always been interested in jewellery and did take courses in jewellery making at the University of South Carolina.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

When I discovered Japanese hand painted richly decorated papers, I just loved them. And when you convert them into jewellery you get the best of several worlds. Fine, intricate, high class style – but at affordable prices. Also, the artisan beads are hand treated – lacquered in fact – which has also played a big part in Asian cultures, but keep their light weight aspect. So, the look great, weigh little and can be custom made to reflect colour stories. There are endless possibilities and I am still exploring new ones.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Once I have created the beads and look at them, an idea emerges as to how the necklace or earrings etc should look. It is as if the original Japanese print calls for its final stage. Or when I see something else and have an inspiration – in short – the creative side.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


Does a rose count? It is the always recurring beauty – even that they have become such parts of our daily lives.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

Photography/Painting - as I am a very visual person.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Beauty can be around us daily. Appreciation for the finer things!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just go with your heart. You will know where your creative urges are. Get lots of supportive people or a community around you – like Etsy – because there will be dry stretches – and than it is great to get some encouragement.

Schmucklust is German and means "delight to adorn". We have these precise words to describe emotions and feelings – like Wanderlust, Zeitgeist – or not so nice - Schadenfreude. Through my affordable creations I hope to allow women to experience “Schmucklust” more often.

This is my favourite cap – Red Riding hood, which a friend of mine, Claire from PocoLoco made for me. I also call it “putting on my self confidence”, particularly when I approach shops to display my work. And it has been an excellent companion so far. I am sure you have you a lucky piece as well.

Thanks again, Britta, for sharing your thoughts and creations with us!! Let's all make Britta feel welcome on Etsy and be sure to visit her shop SCHMUCKLUST!

No comments: