Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Featured Etsy Artist - BLOSSOMS by Debashri

I was totally amazed when I realized that these flowers were made of clay!! How fantastic is that!! I thought they were real! What a talent this artist has! The details and shapes are so exquisite. Flowers that will last forever! Read below to hear what Debashri has to say about her work, and how she got started on this wonderful adventure of creating flowers. Below is a closeup of the "Fall Colored Wedding Bouquet" shown above.



What led you to start creating your art?

I have always loved flowers. When I was a kid, I used to get my mom wild flowers. When I started working, I got her flowers on every payday. My favorite gifts to people have always been flowers. My only complaint against real flowers has been that they dry up. So, I had tried to create long lasting blooms using paper and satin in India. When I came here and was without a job, I decided to take up making flowers again and came across a DECO Clay book. When I looked at the real-looking clay flowers, I knew at once that this was what I wanted to do.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I did not choose the medium. The medium chose me, I'd say. I just wanted to create flowers. Having made flowers from satin and paper back in India, I wanted to keep making flowers. When I came across DECO Clay and realized how real the flowers looked, I couldn't resist the medium. It pulled me to it.

What aspect of creating your art do you find the most enjoyable?

To be able to make people happy - I love the way children's faces light up when I give them a flower. They protect it like it is a piece of precious jewelry! Personally, it relaxes me - unlike my previous corporate jobs, what I do now is not stressful. Its a stress buster really, and I love that aspect of it. Also, having my own hours allows me to spend more time with my husband.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art, what would you choose, and why?

I would say Tomato - Weird as it may sound, I think my craft is 'juicy'. Its got a lot of spunk, like a raw tomato. And when my flowers dry, they become all the more irresistible.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art?

I always wanted to spread the message of love and equality through anything that I did. My art allows me to do that effectively. Flowers are great equalizers. Everybody loves them! They break down barriers between people.

What advice do you have for other artists?

Don't let anyone or anything stop you from doing what you love to do!

Debashri, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and fantastic flowers with us! If you'd like to see more of Debashri's work, be sure to visit her Etsy shop below.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!! Way to go.. Keep it up Really proud of u