Friday, June 27, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - ANDREA R. METCALF

DRYING DAY PrimiTive Mixed Media Collage Folk Art ORiGiNAL (on canvas)
by Folk Artist, ANDREA R. METCALF

This is an 8" x 10" Mixed Media collage called Drying Day. The sky and background are done in acrylic paint and the clothes and quilt are cut out of acid free craft paper. The quilt is a big assemblage of scraps, just like a real crazy quilt is put together from scrap fabrics. Details are done in permanent marking pen. The piece is antiqued in my 'grubby/prim' style and varnished with a matte finish. Edges of the canvas are painted black so there's no need to frame.
Welcome, Andrea
Above you will see one of Andrea's charming "mixed media folk art collages", which she selected as her favorite piece for this feature. I agree, with Andrea....it is one I would have selected as a favorite from her shop. Read below to find out more about this artist and her work.

Hi, my name is Andrea and I am a stay at home mom with 2 young children. My wonderful husband, Chris, has made it possible for me to care for our kids full-time. I am a mixed media collage artist who is inspired by penny rugs, yo-yo quilts and all things primitive. All of my pieces have an antique / vintage look. (I call my style grubby / prim).

What led you to start creating your art?

I’ve always “dabbled” in art and took some classes in college. Then I found myself a stay at home mom with 2 babies and a bit of free time…

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I used to scrapbook, so I had all of these lovely papers laying around. I wanted to use them in a different way.

What aspect of creating your art do you find the most enjoyable?

Painting the backgrounds to my pictures (acrylic paint). It’s very therapeutic.

If you had to choose a fruit or a vegetable to describe your work, what would it be and why?

I suppose I’d choose a watermelon since it is an under appreciated, folk-y kind of fruit!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art?

I’d like to evoke the spirit of the past (prim penny rugs, yo-yo quilts, etc) without simply trying to “copy” those primitive emblems.

What advice do you have for other artists?

Do what you like and never let anyone tell you “It’s not good enough”

Thanks, Andrea, for sharing your thoughts and art with us. Andrea is new to Etsy, so be sure to check out her shop below, and see what other wonderful pieces she has to offer. Best of luck to you, Andrea! Happy Creating!




No comments: